When it comes to serious military conflicts, dangerous police operations or crowd control during furious riots, you need all possible protection – protection hardly achievable without specialized tactical riot gear.
What is riot gear?
The term “riot gear” describes personal protective clothing and equipment designed for tough situations where maximum violence is possible. Despite high risk and extremely dangerous situations, police officers still have to perform their duties. To assist security ops in performing their duties, there are specialized types of protective gear called riot gear. Various types of threat must be handled: ballistic shots, thrown projectiles, physical damage, fire and heat, and so on.
The riot gear must not only provide decent protection against all the threats, but also must allow its wearer to remain mobile and functional. Plus, there must be a way to quickly access supplementary equipment: from megaphones to batons.
Put this simple: tactical riot gear is typically the best protective equipment and clothes on the market.
Riot gear is demanded in:
- Police operations. Fighting with criminals is an innate part of police duties. And some operations require harder protection, after all outlaws are often heavily armed with pistols and even rifles.
- Crowd control. Riot gear gives police and military officers an edge over the crowd and helps them to better control situations during public events while remaining protected against occasional and intended hits and thrown projectiles.
- First response to threats and military rapid reaction. Tactical gear is obligatory in various military and anti-terrorist operations where immediate and tough response to violence is required.
- Managing aggressive protests. Unfortunately, democracy is not always peaceful and constructive. Aggressive protests, riots, and disruptions of public order often require forceful management under protection of well-tested riot gear.
- Suppression of criminals. In scenarios where risk of homicide is high, riot gear provides assistance to policemen in suppressing the gunfire from criminals, and quickly preventing human casualties.
- Quieting riots. Civil disorders could be furious and unforgiving. That is why security guards, police officers and military must be equipped adequately to withstand the anger of the crowd and to quell the unrest.
Types of riot gear:
Protective vests are worn by police officers, security guards, military, spec ops, and even individuals attending shooting range or hunting. But tactical vests are different. Not only do they provide better protection against bullet shots thanks to Class III or Class IV armor plates, but they typically offer standard MOLLE webbing to hang various accessories to and quickly and effortlessly access it in the heat of the fight.
Riot helmets offer superior protection for your head and face thanks to reinforced composite materials of the helmet and an extra strong face shield. Such a helmet can withstand hard hits, thrown rocks and bottles, and protects its wearer from injuries. Some helmet models also include ear and neck protection for even higher levels of security. Soft inner pads and custom sizing ensure a comfortable fit in every situation.
Tactical shields provide superior protection and are an excellent instrument of crowd control. Policemen equipped with riot shields can keep the distance between them and an unrest crowd. Materials of the shield vary from fiberglass and high-density polyethylene to steel and ceramic. Tactical shields have a visor and can be equipped with a wheeled platform for enhanced protection and maneuverability in intense city or indoor operations.
Tactical gloves offer all-season protection and firm grip to the wearer. Special materials on the palm side of the glove prevent slipping of weapons and tools even in wet conditions. The back of the hand can be equipped with armed insertions to protect the hands of a law enforcement officer. The material of the gloves is also cut resistant.
Other body parts also need protection. Knee and shin protectors, elbow pads, forearm bracers, as well as protection of the groin are often included in the set of tactical armor gear. Protective goggles defend the eyes of its wearer from impact damage, while gas masks can deal with smoke, gas and overheated combustion products.
The webbing is designed for secure holding and instant access to tools, instruments and accessories. The MOLLE webbing enhances the carrying capability of a law enforcement officer while not affecting his or her mobility. An officer can easily use a radio, instantly replace a magazine in the rifle, or wield a knife in a second.
Riot gear accessories
Surely, there are dozens of riot gear accessories designed for various situations and tactical scenarios. Such accessories include hydration systems, tactical hoods, forced entry tools, night vision goggles, leg holsters, thermal imaging equipment and others.